15 October 2009

Don't Wanna Deal With Crazy


I don't want to deal with crazy anymore.

Sound like an odd statement? Well let me tell you a little story.

This guy keeps coming into my place of work and stealing. Yes stealing. I work for a not for profit company that helps those in need so I don't look at it so much as stealing from me but from those we are there to help.

This particular guy is crazy.

Now just calm down I am sure you are thinking we don't use words like that in this day and age! I do rather assure you I gave the police officer the same look when he said it. I even went so far as to ask him if he perhaps meant mentally ill to which he surprisingly replied, "no... crazy. That is the term we were told to use." I know it's shocking.

I strongly suspect this guy suffers from drug induced schizophrenia. He is incredibly unpredictable in his behaviour and clearly needs medication.

Today I caught him attempting to steal pool cues and balls. Stupidly when I saw I yelled at him to stop and went and confronted him. He was angry and agitated... and holding 3 large sticks.

Quickly realizing that perhaps my 5 ft frame was no match to his 5' 11 I quickly grabbed the phone and began to dial 911.

When I confronted him he began to raise his voice and started a series of twitches, never a good sign with this guy. Thank goodness he saw me dial 911 and dropped the items and ran out the door.

The police as it turns out are working on building a case against this guy to commit him so he will be able to get the help he needs. I don't wish anything bad for him but there is nothing I can do to help him.

The officer attending today told me it was foolish of me to confront him. I was told to let this guy go because my safety was important than stopping a shoplifter.

on the way home tonight it struck me. I am a shoeless mommy, if something happened to me at work what would happen to my Chiclets? Why did I so automatically race up and confront someone I know to be mentally ill like that? How long can I keep doing a job like this before I burn out?

So right now I am telling you I don't want anymore crazy in my life.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails