15 May 2012

The First Interview

Ever have an important meeting and at the end thought to yourself, "Gee, that could have gone better."

I'll just tell you now that is not what you want to feel like when applying for a Habitat for Humanity home. I was able to meet with 2 of the women from the board in my home last night and I'll be honest it didn't go as well as I would have liked.

To start off with I should tell you I have 2 very adorable and very sweet miniature schnauzers. Chevy and Carter came into my life both over the past year. They are brothers but Carter is 1 year old and Chevy is 4. (Carter is pictured right) Did I also mention that we had a flu bug go through our house over the weekend? I was actually home sick yesterday but not wanting to blow this opportunity, managed to make it out of the sweats I had been living in to put on something decent and used my make-up to it's fullest extent in an effort to look normal.

Well when these lovely ladies got to my house my puppies very excited ran up to them and jumped. As it turns out these wonderful and gracious women don't necessarily care for dogs... I was nervous and not thinking and should have had them in the backyard. My oops. Not a great way to start things off.

I would like to say that things recovered from there, but I'm not sure I can. I had thought it would be nice to bake some cookies and have tea for them, but that didn't seem to go over to well. I don't think I could tell you even one question they asked because I was just a bundle of nerves and my stomach was still in recovery mode from the flu as it was. I am quite sure I sounded like a bumbling idiot the whole time.

They were impressed with my application. If you remember I put it together in a binder and had a title page. Each paper was in a protective sheet, and I had lots of notes explaining everything all the way through.

Some of the things they asked were about where I live currently, how a co-op works, they asked the kids questions about where they went to school and if they have lots of friends where we live. The big thing was do I understand about the sweat equity. Yes I really do understand that if you help me with housing I need to give you 500 hours of sweat equity. And if you help me get a house I will freely give you every last remaining second of my time for as long as you need it.

I was told there would be another interview with different board members this week. Probably Wednesday or Thursday. I'll make sure the puppies are outside first this time.

The really exciting part is that these really are no nonsense people. They are real life decision makers. It can be easy for a process like this to drag on and on, and truth be told I'm not sure I could handle the not knowing for that long. Habitat for Humanity does plan on having a decision made as to who will get this house in the first week of June. (Silently praying please pick me)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails